Pages

Monday, June 16, 2014

Weekly Weigh-In 6/16/14: Back in the Saddle

We went to a pig roast last weekend and while I had been looking forward to it for weeks, I was also absolutely dreading it at the same time -- it was a pool party. Yep, all day in my bathing suit chasing the girls, playing corn hole, eating, drinking and socializing with other grown ups and me trying to play it cool and enjoy myself while completely writhing with agony on the inside.

You could imagine my relief when there was a last minute change of location and we headed out the door sans bathing suits!

I hate my body :-( But I hate that I hate my body. I don't want to be uncomfortable in my own skin. I want to be a good role model for my daughters and practice what I preach to them about self love. I want to establish healthy eating habits for my children now so that they don't have to struggle with it when they are older like I am.

I have a lot to work on.

But I can do it.

Since January of last year, I've been on and off the Weight Watchers wagon, but I'm ready to get back in the saddle - for good. For real! So, here goes...

Last week's weigh-in (6/9/14): 181.8 lbs
Today's weigh-in (6/16/14): 176.4 lbs

Change in weight: -5.4 lbs

What worked for me this week

I planned my meals. It's easy to stay on track when you're prepared, even when you're out picnicking with friends! 

I tracked everything. This is a good visual reminder of how many points you have consumed and how many points you have left for the rest of the day; slip-ups, "little snacks" and BLTs (bites, licks and tastes) can quickly add up. You're holding yourself accountable by logging in all of the food and drink that you put into your body. You also become more conscientious of the types of foods that you put into your body, i.e. chips versus an apple with your sandwich at lunch.

I put "workout" on my daily to-do list. I love the order and organization that to-do lists bring to my day. Writing down exercise on my list really helps me to prioritize my tasks, and I love seeing that one crossed off!

I tracked before a potentially challenging situation. They were serving pizza - my one true weakness! - at a birthday party over the weekend. I wanted to have two slices, so I tracked it in the morning before I had breakfast and planned the rest of my meals accordingly so as to not go over my daily points allowance yet still be able to indulge in one of my trigger favorite foods. Again - plan, plan, plan.

I drank lots of water. Thirst is often mistook for hunger, so I made sure to always keep a full glass of ice cold water on the counter and would take a sip every time I passed by. If I felt "hungry" before lunch or dinner and I had already eaten my planned snack, I would drink a whole glass of water and the feeling went away pretty much every time.

I calculated the points per serving for everything in my fridge and pantry and labeled it. You'll think twice before reaching for "just a handful" of the kids' Goldfish again!

I ate five small meals a day. By reducing my portions at breakfast, lunch and dinner, I was able to give the 'five small meals a day' thing a go for the first time, and it works! Mid-morning and mid-afternoon, around 10AM and 3PM respectively, I would have a piece of fruit and/or light string cheese with a glass of water and I wasn't starving (or grouchy) by the next meal. This helped tremendously with portion control, especially at dinner.


Game plan for next week

Repeat all of the above.

I can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment